Become a Docent
Docents are volunteers who believe in the benefits of lifelong learning and commit time to studying aspects of classical music, Millennium Park, and the Festival. Become a part of our team for the Festival's 85th season.
Apply Today! Applications due Friday, November 9, 2018.
Each summer, docents welcome over 27,000 visitors to the Festival's orchestra and chorus rehearsals and present brief talks to audiences during rehearsal breaks. Throughout the year, docents have access to exclusive opportunities to learn more about the music being performed in summer.
When the Festival is not in season, docents have the opportunity to assist with musician auditions, donor events and special projects in the Festival office. The program is currently comprised of about 15 dedicated volunteers.
The Three Areas of Study
- The history of the Grant Park Music Festival
- The art of classical music
- The unique nature of Millennium Park
- To present at least five public presentations each summer
- To attend about five pre-season meetings in January-May
- To spend about five hours of personal time researching and creating each presentation
- To help welcome and assist patrons at the Welcome Tent during select open rehearsals
Docents attend a series of exclusive pre-season learning opportunities featuring guest speakers, small group discussions, and practice presentations.
Requirements to Apply
Prospective docents must go through an application and interview process to join the program. Requirements include:
- Desire to learn about the three areas of study
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and customer service skills
- Ability and willingness to speak in front of a large crowd with or without the assistance of an audio system
- Ability to work with others as a team
- Ability to work outdoors and possibly in inclement weather and to stand for at least twenty minutes
- Must be at least 18 years of age
To participate in 2019, please submit the following materials by Friday, November 9.
- Cover letter mentioning why you want to become a docent
- A brief writing sample (on a topic of your choice) that demonstrates your research abilities
- A 3-minute presentation outline based on your writing sample
Considered applicants will be asked to present a sample 3-minute presentation.
Please send or email materials to:
Grant Park Orchestral Association
205 East Randolph Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601