An advanced training program for vocal students of local universities.
Christopher Bell conducts the Apprentice Chorale at the Chicago Cultural Center
The Apprentice Chorale is an advanced training program led by Grant Park Chorus Director Christopher Bell for pre-professional vocal students from DePaul University and the University of Illinois - Chicago.
After a rigorous audition process, select students spend the summer rehearsing and performing with the Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus in Festival concerts at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.
The Apprentice Chorale also perform chamber concerts with the Project Inclusion ensemble at other venues around the city, as part of the Chicago Park District's Night Out in the Parks program.
2018 Audition Information
Audition Date: Friday, February 16, 2018, 9am – 11am
Audition Location: DePaul Concert Hall
Program Dates: May 23 – June 23
Scholarship: $1500 tuition scholarship for the 2018-2019 academic year received from the respective University.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 13, 2018
1. Prepare the following choral excerpt(s):
- Haydn, Theresienmesse, “Et vitam” fugue; dotted quarter note = 72 (All voices)
- Whitacre, Lux Aurumque, bars 1-24; quarter note = 60-66; To be sung with a straight tone (Sopranos and Altos only)
2. Prepare two contrasting solos: oratorio excerpt, art song, or opera aria.
3. Undertake sight singing exercises and vocalizations to determine best range.
4. Bring a current vocal resume and headshot to your audition and bring a copy of your solo music for the provided accompanist.
If you have further questions, please contact Melissa Hilker at email@example.com.