Grant Park Chorus Auditions
The Grant Park Chorus, led by Chorus Director, Christopher Bell, welcomes all voice parts to audition for positions. The Grant Park Chorus is a fully professional ensemble of the highest artistic caliber. Only highly qualified candidates should apply.
The Grant Park Chorus 2018 season is currently scheduled to begin on May 23 and continue through August 18. The Grant Park Chorus performs six programs per season as part of the Grant Park Music Festival.
CHORUS AUDITION DATES
February 7-22, 2018 (*only* Wednesdays – Saturdays)
- Current resumé (with voice part and contact information)
- Refundable deposit check of $75
Request an audition here. Audition requests must be received by Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
If an audition is granted, your audition time will be confirmed once your deposit check has been received. Your original, uncashed check will be returned to you at the audition. If you must cancel a confirmed time, your check will be destroyed if you notify the Festival office 48 hours in advance of your audition.
All candidates will be required to demonstrate legal eligibility to accept work with the Grant Park Music Festival before taking the audition.
An accompanist is provided at all auditions. Original parts will be available for use at the time of the audition. Please remember to bring copies of each solo piece (in a three-ring binder) for the accompanist.
Application Deadline is Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
AUDITION REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
1. Candidates will be asked to sing the following prepared choral excerpt(s):
- Haydn, Theresienmesse, “Et vitam” fugue; dotted quarter note = 72 (All voices)
- Whitacre, Lux Aurumque, bars 1-24; quarter note = 60-66; To be sung with a straight tone (Sopranos and Altos only)
2. Additionally, candidates should prepare two contrasting solos: oratorio excerpt, art song, or opera aria.
3. All candidates will be expected to undertake vocalizations to determine best range.
4. All probationary, supplemental, volunteer members and new candidates should be prepared to undertake sight-singing exercises.
5. In certain circumstances a recall audition may be required.